While digital radio is growing in popularity, many people still find they can get better reception on AM/FM radio. Pocket AM/FM radios have the additional advantage of offering better battery life than pocket DAB radios, which sometimes only last 5 hours or so before the battery runs out.
To help you choose the right radio, here’s a roundup of 5 of the best pocket AM/FM radios currently available in the UK.
Roberts Sports 925 – Our #1 Pick
Price: £25.00 on Amazon.co.uk
The Roberts Sports 925 is one of the most popular pocket AM/FM radios in the UK. It has a 3.5 mm headphone socket and also features a built-in speaker. The Roberts Sports 925 is small and light and has a convenient carrying strap.
- LW/MW/FM wavebands
- 5 mm headphone jack
- Carrying strap
- Takes 2 x AA batteries
- Tuning light
- Built-in speaker
Dimensions: 12.5 cm high x 7 cm wide x 3 cm deep
Weight: 154 g
- Batteries last a long time. The manual states that batteries should last for 60 hours when used for 4 hours a day (about 2 weeks of heavy use)
- Very good reception
- Tuning light makes it easier to tune in accurately
- Decent sound for something so small, and can go quite loud
- Clear sound quality without hiss
- You might need to extend the aerial to get the best reception, which isn’t very convenient if the radio is in your pocket!
- Earphones aren’t included
The Roberts Sports 925 is a well made product that should last for years. You should be aware that it doesn’t come with earphones, so you will either need to buy some or use some you already own. Overall we think the Sports 925 is the best pocket AM/FM radio you can get in the UK in 2017.
Sony SRF-S84 FM/AM Radio Walkman – One of the Smallest Pocket AM/FM Radios
Price: £51.00 on Amazon.co.uk
The Sony SRF-S84 is one of the smallest AM/FM radios out there. It’s about as small as a box of matches, making it very convenient for listening to while running or exercising. It is powered by 1 AAA battery, which isn’t included and can be a rechargeable. Unlike some of the other portable radios in this list, the Sony SRF-S84 comes with earphones included.
- AM/FM radio
- Mega Bass function for added bass
- Takes 1 AAA battery (not included)
- Stereo earphones included
Dimensions: 7.85 cm high 3.95 cm wide x 1.65 cm deep
Weight: 61.2g (including battery and earphones)
- Very small and light
- Good reception even in quite remote areas
- Mega Bass function is good for improving the sound
- Good sound quality when using high-quality earphones
- Earphones included are poor quality
- Only has the essential features (no sleep timer etc.)
- Seems overpriced
The Sony SRF-S84 is a great pocket AM/FM radio and makes an excellent choice if you’re looking to get the smallest radio possible. The biggest drawback is that the price seems quite high at the time of writing, so it doesn’t offer the best value for money.
Roberts Sports 995 – Best for Features
Price: £39.99 on Amazon.co.uk
The Roberts Sports 995 is a stylish pocket AM/FM radio with a minimalistic design and a great range of features. This little radio comes with headphones included, and is powered by a singly AAA battery.
- AM/FM radio
- Scan and manual tuning options
- Save up to 15 preset stations (10 on FM and 5 on AM)
- Stereo/mono switch
- Auto power-off feature
- Takes one AAA-sized battery (not included)
- Bass Boost function
- Includes headphones
- Key lock function to prevent you accidentally changing the tuning
- Sleep function
Dimensions: 9.8 cm high x 5.7 cm wide x 2.3 cm deep
Weight: 60 g
- Mono switch helps improve the reception in areas with bad reception
- Sleep timer saves the batteries if you go to sleep listening to the radio
- Small and light
- Stylish design
- Earphones supplied are comfortable and stay in your ears
- Presets are easy to use
- No signal strength indicator
The Roberts Sports 995 arguably has the best range of features of any portable AM/FM radio. Some of the most useful functions are the easy-to-use presets, the sleep timer and the key lock function that stops you accidentally changing the station. Another plus is that the radio comes with comfortable earphones.
Tivdio V-112 Pocket AM FM Radio Mini Receiver
Price: £13.99 on Amazon.co.uk
The Tivdio V-112 is a very small pocket AM/FM radio that comes with earphones included. It has a built-in battery and can be recharged from your computer via a USB cable.
- AM/FM radio
- Saves 40 preset stations (20 on AM and 20 on FM)
- Built-in lithium battery that is charged via USB
- Digital display
- 90-minute automatic switch-off function
Dimensions: 8.4 cm high x 4.6 cm wide x 1.3 cm deep
Weight: 41 g
- Good radio reception
- Nice and small
- Battery should last for several days if you use it a few hours a day
- Easy to use
- Good value for money
- Often ships from China, so it might take a long time to arrive
The Tivdio V-112 is one of the cheapest pocket AM/FM radios on the market. It might not have the same number of functions or have the same build quality of radio from brands like Roberts, but it does offer very good value for money.
Price: £16.25 on Amazon.co.uk
The Philips AE1500/00 is a handheld MW/FM radio with a built-in speaker. The radio takes two AAA batteries and is small enough to fit in a medium/large pocket.
- MW/FM radio
- Thumbwheel volume control
- Stereo headphone socket
- Takes 2 AAA batteries
Dimensions: 12 cm high x 5.6 cm wide x 2 cm deep
Weight: 64 g
- Speaker is surprisingly loud for such a small radio
- Generally sounds clear, though a bit tinny
- Good battery life—can be used for several days
- Earphones aren’t included
- Feels cheap and plasticky
The Philips AE1500/00 is a decent pocket radio at a very reasonable price. It isn’t the best performing radio reviewed here, but it’s still a good product overall.