Disclaimer: Best Radios UK is audience supported. If you buy via links on here we may get a small commission. This doesn’t impact the price you pay & lets us keep the site free.
The Denon RCDM40DAB, also known as the Denon DM40, is an updated version of the RCDM39DAB hi-fi. It’s designed to offer a large range of features combined with good sound quality within a small package. This hi-fi has an FM/DAB/DAB+ radio, a CD player, and can also play music from a USB stick (up to 32 GB). Let’s look at the RCDM40DAB in more detail…
- FM/DAB/DAB+ radio
- CD player with low-gravity mechanism for reduced vibration
- USB port for playing music from a USB drive or an Apple device using the cable provided. The stereo can play files in the following formats: MP3, WMA, FLAC, WAV, AAC.
- Optical inputs for connecting the speakers to a TV
- Remote control
- Can be connected to a television or set-top box to improve sound quality while watching TV
- Optional shuffle mode when playing CDs and MP3s
Dimensions: 23.4 x 23.8 x 14.5 cm
Weight: 3.5 kg
Model number: RCDM40DABBKEK
- Excellent detail and depth to the sound when playing CDs
- The USB port is very useful. You can use it to play music from a smartphone, USB drive or MP3 player.
- Generally good DAB reception, though this will vary depending on where you use it
- Small enough to fit almost anywhere in the house online-health-pharm.com/ (about the size of a shoebox)
- Great sound quality for the money
- Switching from FM to DAB and vice versa requires three key presses. It would be better if you could just push one button.
- FM reception could be better
- You can’t connect an iPad via USB, only via aux-in
- There appears to be a problem affecting this unit’s ability to pick up DAB radio in London
- No Bluetooth or wireless capabilities
The RCDM40DAB Micro Component CD Receiver offers great sound reproduction for the price. If you’re looking for something that will allow you to enjoy CDs with more depth and detail and also have the option to play music from a smartphone, USB stick or MP3 player, this product is a good choice.
When it comes to radio, the RCDM40DAB offers relatively good reception on DAB but less satisfactory reception on FM. There also appears to be an issue affecting this product’s DAB reception in a few transmitter areas including in London.
This stereo doesn’t come with speakers included, so unless you already have some you would need to buy them separately. While the RCDM40DAB is excellent at picking up on the fine details when playing CDs, you’ll only appreciate this with a good pair of speakers.