Disclaimer: Best Radios UK is audience supported. If you buy via links on here we may get a small commission. This doesn’t impact the price you pay & lets us keep the site free.
The TaoTronics Bluetooth Receiver turns any sound system with an aux-in port into a Bluetooth speaker. It has a lot of potential uses: you can use it to stream music from your phone in your car or van, turn your Hi-Fi into an internet radio by connecting it to your smartphone, or use it to enable Bluetooth in a regular pair of headphones for listening to music on your iPhone 7.
How does it work?
If you have a Bluetooth device such as a smartphone, tablet or laptop, you can stream music from it by plugging this Bluetooth receiver into a non-Bluetooth audio system (such as a car radio). The TaoTronics Receiver essentially converts a regular radio into a wireless Bluetooth speaker. You can also plug headphones into it, so you can use them to listen to music via Bluetooth.
Design and appearance
The receiver is very small at only 2 inches tall. The design is straightforward, with just a couple of buttons, and the product has a nice, soft feel to it.
- Built-in microphone for hands-free calls
- Bluetooth 4.0
- Pause/play button
- Buttons for changing volume
- Rechargeable, with up to 7 hours of use on a full charge
What’s in the box?
In addition to the receiver itself, you also get a micro USB charging cable, a 3.5mm male-to-male audio adapter, a 3.5mm audio cable and a user manual (also available online).
Performance and use
Setting the TaoTronics receiver up is quick and easy.
To start using the Bluetooth receiver, you just press the play button on its front. Then, look for the TaoTronics TT-BR05 on your phone’s list of available Bluetooth devices, and pair it to the receiver. Next, plug the receiver into some speakers using their cable, or into a radio’s aux-in port using the 3.5mm audio cable provided. You can adjust the volume on the TaoTronics receiver itself.
The receiver needs to be charged using the USB cable provided, which takes about 2 hours. You can use the receiver while it’s charging. It lasts about 7 hours after a full charge.
This receiver can be used for all kinds of things, including:
- Playing music from your phone through your car speakers
- Making and receiving hands-free calls in your car
- Converting regular headphone into Bluetooth headphones
- Listening to music from your iPhone 7 (which doesn’t have a headphone jack)
- Streaming music or internet radio from your phone, laptop or tablet through regular speakers
- It’s very small—2 inches tall, 1 inch wide, and 0.6 inches thick.
- Simple design
- Clear sound without any interference or crackling
- Music automatically pauses when you receiving or making a phone call, and then resumes once you’re finished
- It can be used while it’s charging
- 12-month warranty
- Tactile and easy to use while driving. Controls are very responsive
- Cheap, especially when compared to buying a Bluetooth car stereo or Bluetooth speakers
- No delay in receiving audio
- Sometimes the receiver’s light blinks, which could be distracting when driving
- Can create feedback when using for hands-free calls, and the built-in microphone might not be sensitive enough
The TaoTronics TT-BR05 Bluetooth Receiver is much cheaper than getting an expensive Bluetooth car radio. If you plan to use it at home and already have some decent speakers, it’s cheaper than buying new Bluetooth speakers.
There aren’t any serious flaws to this product. It’s not ideal for using for hands-free calls, but it’s ideal for converting a standard radio, speaker or pair of headphones into a Bluetooth-enabled device. The Taotronics Bluetooth Receiver is a cheap and easy-to-use gadget for making your old audio equipment wireless.
For some similar products to consider, see our roundup of the best Bluetooth FM transmitters.