Disclaimer: Best Radios UK is audience supported. If you buy via links on here we may get a small commission. This doesn’t impact the price you pay & lets us keep the site free.
Buy it online:
The Arbury DAB FM Portable Radio is part of the Majority line of radios designed in Cambridge, England. It was released in 2016 as an upgrade from the earlier Majority Chesterton radio. The Arbury Radio is one of the cheapest portable FM/DAB radios available in the UK, and has an impressive list of features for the price. Let’s take a closer look.
- Large LCD screen that displays the radio station name, time and other information
- 8-12 hours of battery life using the built-in rechargeable battery
- Can be recharged using a micro USB cable or via mains power
- Save up to 20 preset stations (10 for FM and 10 for DAB)
- Designed with rubberised soft-touch buttons
- Automatic time set—no need to set the clock yourself
- Alarm clock
- Sleep function
- 3.5 mm headphone socket
- Telescopic aerial
- Auto-scan feature for finding DAB stations
Dimensions: 14 cm wide x 13 cm tall x 4.5 cm deep
Weight: 540 g
- Good value for money
- Small and compact
- Speaker is quite powerful, and doesn’t distort when the volume is turned up
- Quick and easy to set up
- Portable and easy to carry
- Setting preset stations is a bit awkward until you get used to it
- The buttons are all the same size, making it harder to find the right button
- Speakers are quite tinny
Performance and use
The Arbury DAB FM Portable Radio should arrive charged, so you can use it right away. Once you turn it on, you simply need to ask it to scan for DAB stations and it will find all the stations available in your area.
This radio sounds fine for the kitchen, bathroom or bedroom, but don’t expect amazing sound quality from this budget-priced product. The sound is a bit tinny, so it’s better for speech programmes than music. Nevertheless, the sound isn’t bad for a radio of the Arbury’s size and price.
It doesn’t take long to charge, after which you can expect 8-12 hours of playback. The radio is small so it’s easy to carry around and use in different rooms of the house or in the garden.
While it isn’t perfect, the Arbury DAB FM Portable Radio offers good value for money and can compete with several higher-priced radios. The Arbury offers a good range of features for the price: it’s portable, offers both FM and DAB radio, comes with an alarm and has a 12-month warranty.
The sound quality could be improved, and it’s certainly not the most attractive DAB radio. Nevertheless, this radio really over-delivers for the price.
If you’re not convinced by the Arbury, you might want to consider the 1byone Portable DAB Radio. It has similar features for a similar price, with the additional bonus of Bluetooth, allowing you to stream music from a smartphone. You can also consider one of the radios in this roundup of the best portable DAB radios.