The Sony CMTS20B is an all-in-one sound system that lets you listen to CDs as well as DAB radio. It also has a USB and line-in port for playing MP3s and connecting other audio devices. The Sony CMTS20B is a small hi-fi which would work well in a small room such as a bedroom. Let’s take a closer look…
- DAB/DAB+ radio
- Single CD player
- Bass Boost function
- Remote control
- Two 5W speakers offering a total of 10 watts of stereo sound
- Five equaliser settings: classic, flat, jazz, pop, rock
- USB port for playing music from an MP3 player or USB drive, or charging a smartphone
- CD bookmarking feature that remembers where you left off and resumes playing the CD in the same place
Dimensions of radio/CD player: 21 cm wide x 17 cm deep x 13.2 cm high
Weight: 4.6 kg (boxed)
- Good DAB reception
- 18-month warranty
- USB port is useful for playing MP3s and charging your phone
- Very small and compact
- No headphone jack
- No Bluetooth
- USB port isn’t compatible with iPods
- CD player is quite noisy, but you only notice this between tracks
- CD player is slow to load
- Speaker cables are quite short, limiting where you can put the speakers
- Speakers lack clarity and definition
The Sony CMTS20B is an affordable hi-fi with DAB radio and a CD player, but its speakers are disappointingly muffled and lacking in clarity. It’s hard to find a device that combines a CD player with a DAB radio, and the Sony CMTS20B does a decent job, though it has several serious flaws.
#1 reason to buy: Compact size offering several features in a small package.
#1 reason not to buy: Speakers are mediocre, so you will probably want to use other speakers.
If you already have some good speakers or are willing to buy some separately, you should consider the Denon RCDM40DAB. It’s a CD player and FM/DAB/DAB+ radio receiver which offers superb sound reproduction from CDs, when combined with the right speakers.
A more expensive alternative, but one that comes with high-quality speakers included, is the Sony CMT SBT 100B. It’s a micro hi-fi system that features an FM/DAB radio, a CD player, Bluetooth and two high-quality 25W speakers.
For some more options, see our roundup of the best radio CD players.